Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kcchronicle.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Want to make sure you receive the latest local news? We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly mail subscription offers

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from Kane County Chronicle, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Sign up for free email alerts. We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox.
Local

Fire causes $10K damage to St. Charles home

ST. CHARLES – A discarded cigarette Friday started a fire that caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to a two-story home in eastern St. Charles, said Assistant Fire Chief Joe Schelstreet.

The accidental fire spread from a trash can next to a house in the 1500 block of Jobe Avenue and went up the residence’s exterior wall, Schelstreet said. He noted the fire was in a rear corner of the house.

Firefighters found the
homeowner controlling the small fire with a garden hose when they arrived at 12:30 p.m., he said.

The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes, but firefighters reportedly remained on the scene until about 1:30 p.m. to check for any extension of the fire and to conduct the fire investigation.

The house remains habitable, but it sustained damage to the siding, Schelstreet said.

Nobody was injured during the blaze. Schelstreet said the occupants discovered it at the same time neighbors were calling 911 to report it.

Loading more