Geneva girls, St. Charles North boys take UEC River XC titles
ST. CHARLES – The Geneva girls cross country team made sure everyone remembered the program's pedigree on Saturday.
The Vikings had a plan for the Upstate Eight Conference River Division meet at LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve. They executed it, too, placing four runners in the top 10 en route to a team score of 35 points and a conference championship.
St. Charles North (52), St. Charles East (65) and Batavia (67) followed on a rainy, windy day. Vikings freshman McKenzie Altmayer was Geneva's top runner, taking second in 17:49. East sophomore Torree Scull was the overall conference champion in 17:32.
Altmayer said the Vikings focus was to take care of individual goals while letting the team race take care of itself.
“I know for me I just wanted to do as well as I could and try to hit a PR for this meet,” Altmayer said.
In the boys race, River champion North survived a much closer shave, edging runner-up Batavia, 38-40. Four North Stars finished in the top 10 compared to Batavia's three.
“We really wanted to beat Batavia,” said North Stars senior Spencer Gray, the individual champion in 15:13. “That was our main goal today as a team and we really wanted to pack after the first mile and then see what we could do from there.”
Geneva (58) finished third, while East was fourth with 91 points.
Batavia stayed close to the North Stars as Trevor Hollis (second) and Mitch Zabka (third) paced the top of the pack.
In the girls race, Lexi Slome led Batavia with a fifth-place run in 18:00.
“I thought I ran a pretty good race,” Slome said. “I was just focused on not thinking at all and just going out and running as hard as I could. I wanted to go as fast as I could. It was perfect running weather today, I thought.”
BOYS TEAM SCORES
1. St. Charles North, 38
2. Batavia, 40
3. Geneva, 58
4. St. Charles East, 91
5. Elgin, 153
6. Larkin, 172
7. Streamwood, 196
GIRLS TEAM SCORES
1. Geneva, 35
2. St. Charles North, 52
3. St. Charles East, 65
4. Batavia, 67
5. Streamwood, 135
6. Elgin, 191
7. Larkin, 193
BOYS INDIVIDUAL TOP 10
1. Spencer Gray, St. Charles North, 15:13
2. Trevor Hollis, Batavia, 15:17
3. Mitch Zabka, Batavia, 15:31
4. Max Rowland, St. Charles East, 15:32.6
5. Nathan Klair, St. Charles North, 15:32.9
6. Chris Orlow, Batavia, 15:35
7. Dan Herrera, Geneva, 15:38
8. Nicholas Borger, St. Charles North, 15:40
9. Ryan McSweeney, St. Charles North, 15:41
10. Jordan Midgely, Geneva, 15:41
GIRLS INDIVIDUAL TOP 10
1. Torree Scull, St. Charles East, 17:32
2. McKenzie Altmayer, Geneva, 17:49.3
3. Ashley England, St. Charles North, 17:49.6
4. Brooke Nusser, Geneva, 17:52
5. Lexi Slome, Batavia, 18:00
6. Dakota Roman, Batavia, 18:05
7. Kathryn Adelman, Geneva, 18:18
8. Kaylee Wessel, St. Charles North, 18:26
9. Nina Olshever, St. Charles North, 18:29.3
10. Sydney Geils, Geneva, 18:29.7
If you have any technical difficulties, either with your username and password or with the payment options, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com