Letter: A smaller tent is needed
To the Editor:
The GOP has spent the last few years trying to convince voters that the GOP has a big tent, meaning that every racial, ethnic and interest group is welcome and well represented.
Let's see how that worked out in the 2012 presidential election:
• President Obama won 55 percent of the women's vote.
• President Obama won 60 percent of the youth vote.
• President Obama won about 72 percent of the Latino vote.
• President Obama won about 77 percent of the gay vote.
• President Obama won 73 percent of the Asian vote.
• President Obama won 93 percent of the black vote.
Mitt Romney did win about 60 percent of the white vote. Interestingly, that was the same percentage of the white vote George H.W. Bush won in 1988. With his 60 percent of the white vote, Bush Sr. won 426 electoral votes, while Romney's 60 percent of the white vote got him a measly 206. Do we detect a declining demographic here?
Moral of the election: To paraphrase the most famous quote from the movie Jaws, "You're gonna need a smaller tent."