Overcast
49°FOvercastFull Forecast

Fire causes $5,000 in damage to St. Charles home

Published: Friday, Dec. 14, 2012 9:15 a.m. CDT

ST. CHARLES – Authorities have determined that a candle was the cause of a fire that started at St. Charles home Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the 1900 block of Jeanette Avenue at 3:21 p.m. for a report of a fire on the second floor of the home, according to a news release. The fire was discovered by the occupant, who was able to exit the home safely and call 911. There were no injuries.

The fire, located at the top of the second floor staircase, was extinguished in about five minutes. Firefighters determined that the cause of the fire was from a candle that had been knocked over. The loss is estimated at about $5,000 and the home remains habitable, according to the release.

The Batavia and Geneva fire departments assisted the St. Charles Fire Department.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Kane County Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all Kane County Chronicle instances for analytics purposes.

Preps Insider: Round 1 playoff preview

More videos »