ST. CHARLES – Leslie Grosshauser wanted to offer cyclists a workout experience she fell in love with at a studio in Chicago: the chance to compete with fellow cyclists – and themselves – via an overhead competition board tracking each person’s performance.
“Talk about an added motivation,” she said. “They keep coming back, trying to beat their numbers.”
She and Sammy Radi offer that feature and several classes at their cycling and fitness studio, S&L Tri-Cycle Fit Studio, 602 S. 1st St. The studio, which is celebrating its grand opening Saturday, is among more than two dozen businesses that have recently opened in St. Charles, according to a list provided by the city.
Because the city doesn’t issue business licenses, staff learn about new businesses from utility requests and tips from organizations such as the Downtown St. Charles Partnership, economic development coordinator Michael Mertes said. The city publishes the information in its electronic newsletter, the Den.
Recent additions include diverse businesses – restaurants, shops, industrial companies and professional services, among others – throughout the city’s districts. Diversity is important because it gives people options and can be beneficial when business slows in a particular segment, Mertes said.
“It’s nice to see that people are seeing opportunities available on all sides of town, too,” Mertes said.
Although it began in 2001, Vero Voce School of Visual and Performing Arts is included on the list. For the company to grow, last year it moved from an in-home studio to a building along State Avenue, managing director Dawn Harkins said.
“We love the new space,” she said, noting it has five studios, two classrooms and a black box theater that can seat about 100 people.
“It was definitely important to stay in St. Charles.”
Nichole Atkinson and her husband opened That Little Salon along North Fifth Avenue in June. Atkinson, who came from a salon in DeKalb, said she wanted to open a more affordable salon in St. Charles. Business has been good so far, she said, noting a lot of business is coming from referrals.
“We don’t have enough signage, but we’re going to work on that,” she said.
Mertes said it’s difficult for the city to keep tally of business closings but noted new businesses have outnumbered those that have closed in recent months. With an auto parts store, coffee shop, yogurt shop and winery to open St. Charles locations this year, Mertes said the city hopes that trend continues.
“It’s always exciting to see a new face in town,” he said.
New businesses in St. Charles
• Brown's Chicken, 1910 Lincoln Highway, fast food
• Charm Thai, 1415 W. Main St., restaurant
• Fox Valley Mathematics 902 S. Randall Road, Suite B, math instruction
• JM Baker Graphic Design, 611 Katherine St., graphic design
• Marigold Massage 2075 Prairie St. #104, massage therapy
• Massage World, 2460 W. Main St. #106, massage therapy
• Olympia Chiropractic & Physical Therapy, 1615 W. Main St., physical therapy
• Time Out Sports Pub, 2051 Lincoln Highway, sports bar
Central business district
• Chicago Turtle Factory, 10 S. Riverside Ave., candy and confectionaries
• Devon Bank Home Loan Center, 440 S. 3rd St. #206, home financing
• S&L Tri-Cycle Fit Studio, 602 S. 1st St., fitness center
• Treasure Broker, 218 State St., antiques
• 3D FigureWorks, Charlestowne Mall, 3-D photo studio
• Chapple West Inc., 103 N. 11th Ave., Unit 2R, construction management
• Children of America, 155 S. Tyler Road, childcare facility
• Curfew, 2400 E. Main St., teen dance club
• SMH Solutions, 951 State Ave., Unit K1, property maintenance
• That Little Salon, 1150 N. 5th Ave., hair salon
• The Spotted Fox, 3615 E. Main St., tavern/restaurant
• Vero Voce, 951 State Ave., Suite F, visual & performing arts school
EAST GATEWAY – INDUSTRIAL
• DG Jr Records Inc, 3720 Illinois Ave., management services
• KC Cleaning, 1830 Wallace Ave. #218, Commercial Cleaning
• Midwest Underground Technology, 3890 Commerce Drive, telecom construction
• Phoresight Group Inc., 1820 E. Production Drive, Suites D & G, management consulting
• Ritmo Manufacturing Co., 3540 Stern Ave. #109, engineering and machine manufacturing
• Specialty Graphics Supply, 3875 Commerce Drive, distribution
Source: City of St. Charles