59°FOvercastFull Forecast
2017 Kane County Chronicle Best of the Fox

Skink rescued in Maple Park fire

Published: Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013 5:30 a.m. CDT

MAPLE PARK – No one was injured when a chimney fire caused damage to a Maple Park home Tuesday.

The Elburn and Countryside Fire Protection District was dispatched at 7:32 p.m. to a fire at 46W571 Route 38. According to a news release, a fire had spread to the outside of the chimney and into the structure of the home by the time firefighters arrived.

The occupants exited the home, and firefighters rescued the homeowners’ pets, according to the release.

Lt. Greg Algrim with the Elburn and Countryside Fire Protection District said two adults were home at the time of the fire. He said firefighters rescued a lizardlike pet called a skink.

The fire was extinguished within a half hour. Algrim said the fire was contained mostly to the fireplace area and near a stairwell. Elburn was assisted by the Batavia, Big Rock, Burlington, Geneva, Maple Park, St. Charles and Sugar Grove fire departments.

The fire is under investigation, and the estimated property loss is being determined, according to the release.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Kane County Chronicle.