ST. CHARLES – A fire Sunday morning caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to a single-family house near St. Charles.
No one was injured in the fire at 40W790 Willowbrook Court, near St. Charles. Firefighters from the Fox River & Countryside Fire/Rescue District continue to investigate the cause of the fire.
Firefighters arrived on the scene at 7:27 a.m. to find a fire in the area adjacent to the fireplace, according to a press release from the Fox River & Countryside Fire/Rescue District. Firefighters began extinguishing the fire and disassembling the area around the fireplace to gain access to the involved area.
The fire had extended into the flooring, but was limited to the immediate areas, the release stated. Firefighters had the fire under control at 7:45 a.m., and left the scene at 9:14 a.m.
The fire district reminded residents to always use care when operating a fireplace, and make sure that embers can't fall into cracks in a floor. The district also reminded residents to call 9-1-1 immediately when they see or smell smoke in their home and to have at least one fire extinguisher easily accessible.