The foundation of my platform is threefold:
1. Facing the Facts: Fiscal Realities in Our City
First and foremost, we need a long overdue overhaul of City finances. My prime example is the stalled First Street Development. We need a new answer there: separate the frosting from the cake and concentrate on what’s needed to balance budget and pay off future bond debts. St Charles faces three “waves” of fiscal responsibility:
• The first, today, shows a balanced 2012-2013 budget, with a potential for a surplus (TBD).
• The second and third waves, 2-5 years and 5-10 years, respectively, down the road, are waves of red ink. That’s when our City Bonds start coming due. At the worst we’ll be $90 million in the hole at maturity. Two of the five existing Tax Increment Finance Districts (TIFs) are not doing the job of producing tax revenue that was estimated at $1 million per year. My solution is to minimize the debt impact by re-evaluating how we have zoned key properties. We need to develop a more viable alternative for both retail and professional businesses to fill empty storefronts downtown. First Street comes into play here. I’ll meet with the owners/developers of the First Street project and seek options to finish the project: what development scenarios are there that can make money?
2. Looking at the Horizons of New Development
I believe the key to growth is to expand a development with 10 smaller businesses representing broad and diverse opportunities/tax bases versus going for one big opportunity with a limited tax base and fewer footprints. But paralleling new development, I want to ensure that we preserve the rich history, beauty and charm of St. Charles. These qualities are worth protecting against the future challenges that can impact our City’s precious quality of life.
To preserve the unique heritage of St. Charles, I will support the City Council working with our Cultural Arts leaders to develop a short and long term plan –a living and breathing action plan with timelines. We will identify current brick and mortar resources to preserve our current assets like the Arcada Theater, and we will repurpose existing structures or build a new Cultural Arts Center to showcase, support, and encourage local and regional artists and art students in all mediums.
I want St. Charles to be THE Cultural Arts destination with dynamic daily/weekly/monthly events that will serve as a magnet for attracting people from a broad radius to St Charles as we become known as a community where the Arts are growing and thriving.
3. Introducing New Business Districts and Forums
A. West, East and Downtown Business Districts and Owners’ Discussion Groups. Working together with public and private sectors, I want to develop three distinct Business Districts:
• East Business District – Route 64 corridor from DuPage Airport to Seventh Ave; • Downtown Business District • West Business District – beginning at 6th street to our far-reaching Township borders.
Each Business District Merchant will be invited to a quarterly Mayor’s Forum to discuss what’s working well, what’s not working, and what do we need to improve. The emphasis will be to get our business leaders involved to help revitalize all St. Charles Business Districts. I also plan to meet with the current or future owners of the Charlestowne Mall to work out a solution that includes owner input.
B. My Open Door Policy. Often a decision is made for a short term gain that may not align with our long term strategy/Master Plan. I’ll institute a Mayor’s Forum to meet with residents, special interest groups or business owners prior to each City Council Meeting. I’ll also set aside Mondays as the Mayor’s Open Door Policy where any resident, special interest group or business owner can walk in and have ten minutes with the Mayor. I will continue to have my ”Meet Jake” on Saturdays at the American Legion Post 342.
C. Quarterly Taxing Bodies Forum. Our taxpayers need to understand that there are eight taxing bodies. They are, with percent breakouts:
• School District – 64%; • City – 11%; • Park District – 8%; • County – 5%; • Junior College – 5%; • Library – 4%; • Forest Preserve – 3%; and • Township – 2%.
I find it questionable that these taxing bodies only meet annually. I plan on studying past content and State Statues that guide the discussions and decisions made at these meetings. As Mayor I will institute quarterly meetings with ALL Taxing Bodies and review/discuss all proposed increases, so that they are coordinated in view of the big picture and in the best interests of the community and residents. Property tax complaints are directed to City Hall when in fact, the City may not have any influence over that Taxing Body. My goal will be to make it a coordinated effort to steward the spending of your tax dollars.
Website: www.jakewyattformayor.com E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: Jake Wyatt for STC Mayor Saturday Coffee With Jake: American Legion Post 342 1150 N. 5th Ave St Charles 9:30-noon thru March 30th
ENDORSEMENTS: "Jake Wyatt is a proven leader in the military, in both corporate and small business. Experienced integrity, ethical, personable...." VETERANS FOR WYATT Richard Leckbee, VFW Post 5036 Post Commander John Westphal, American Legion Post 342 Post Commander Angelo DiLiberti, Colonel U.S. Army retired, AMVETS Post 503 Commander Mark Powell, and Lt. Colonel U.S. Army retired Edward Jones Financial "Jake Wyatt will be an excellent mayor for St Charles. Broad business experience paired with his deep resume of military leadership has prepared Jake to lead and serve St Charles at this time in our community's history with integrity." Duane Buttell, President, Tri-Cities Exchange Club Colonel U.S. Air Force retired American Airlines Captain
Steve Spurling, candidate for D303 School Board endorses Jake Wyatt for Mayor of St Charles Former 2nd Ward Alderman & current candidate, Art Lemke endorses Jake Wyatt for Mayor of St Charles
Christopher Cesario, owner, Perfect Puppies endorses Jake Wyatt for Mayor of St Charles Holm Studio, owned and operated by Personal Trainer, Josh Holm, endorses Jake Wyatt for Mayor of St Charles
Dallas Ducaro, owner, Dallas Interiors endorses Colonel Jake Wyatt for Mayor of St Charles
“A man whose first concern is for the people” Dr. Jack R. Martin, Martin Chiropractic & Acupuncture Clinic endorses Jake Wyatt for Mayor of St Charles
“Jake will work with you and for you!” Patrick Robinson, co-owner of Kane County Flea Market, Inc endorses Jake Wyatt for Mayor of St Charles
Concerned Coalition for Sensible Spending of St Charles, Inc. (CCSS) endorses Jake Wyatt for Mayor of St Charles: “Jake is the only candidate prepared and qualified with the skills, courage and integrity needed to lead and serve the best interests of the St Charles community…”