Overcast
54°FOvercastFull Forecast

Fire officials called to minor incident at St. Charles gym

Published: Saturday, March 9, 2013 5:30 a.m. CDT

ST. CHARLES – A St. Charles gym was evacuated Friday after a burned-up motor filled an aerobics room with smoke, acting St. Charles Fire Chief Joe Schelstreet said.

Units from the St. Charles Fire Department responded to XSport Fitness, 238 N. Randall Road, at 10:10 a.m., he said. The motor in question was in an HVAC unit on the roof.

He described the incident as minor.

“There’s damage but no structure damage,” said Schelstreet, noting the building also lost power because of a tripped main power breaker.

The incident was handled in about 45 minutes, he said.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Kane County Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all Kane County Chronicle instances for analytics purposes.

Beardsgaard Ribbon Cutting

More videos »