ST. CHARLES – St. Charles will be ready to celebrate Saturday as the annual St. Patrick’s Parade makes its way down Main Street, starting at 2 p.m.
Because of the parade, street closings and parking restrictions will be in effect, according to the St. Charles Police Department.
Main Street will be closed between Seventh Street and Fifth Avenue beginning about 1:45 p.m. Also at that time, Second Street will be closed between State and Illinois streets.
Detour routes for Main and Second streets will be posted and staffed by police and emergency management personnel. Detours use Illinois and Fifth avenues and State, Seventh and Illinois streets.
Motorists should follow detour route signs and be alert for pedestrians and traffic control personnel.
The police department encourages drivers to use alternate routes because long delays may be experienced.
Parking will be prohibited on the parade and detour routes from noon to 3 p.m. Vehicles parked in violation will be towed.
Parking also won’t be allowed on these streets. They will be closed at 11 a.m. for parade staging:
• Walnut Street from South Third Street to South Seventh Street
• South Fourth Street from Main Street to Illinois Street
• South Fifth Street from Main Street to Illinois Street
• South Sixth Street from Main Street to Illinois Street
• North Sixth Street from Main Street to State Street
• Cedar Street from North Fifth Street to North Seventh Street
The St. Charles Police Department reminds everyone to act responsibly during St. Patrick’s Day, be mindful of increased pedestrian traffic and do not text and drive.