Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Want to make sure you receive the latest local news? We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly mail subscription offers

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from Kane County Chronicle, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Sign up for free email alerts. We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox.

Campton Hills warns of possible ComEd scam

CAMPTON HILLS – Campton Hills on Wednesday warned residents not to give out their ComEd account number after learning some might be receiving calls from a source claiming affiliation with the utility company, the village said in an email alert.

The caller is telling residents that the new ComEd rates are dropping by 20 percent and that they should consider leaving mc2 and return to ComEd, the village said.

It noted other suppliers of other towns are reporting similar calls.

Campton Hills negotiated prices with mc2, which are lower than ComEd’s new rates, the village said.

The village said it doesn’t know whether the calls are from ComEd.

The calls could be a scam in which residents are being asked for their account numbers and changed to another provider under false pretenses without proper informed consent, the village said.

Campton Hills recommends residents take these actions if they receive such a call:

• Do not give out your ComEd account number.

• Attempt to get a name or a return phone number for the caller.

• Note the inbound phone number if you have caller ID.

Call Ann DeBortoli at 312-638-9941 or Katie Clark at 312-854-1982 for information or if you have specific information about this matter.

All mc2 customers should check their ComEd bill to ensure their electric supplier continues to be mc2.

If a change has been made without proper consent or customers have received false or misleading information from any electricity supplier or other entity, a complaint can be filed by contacting the Illinois Commerce Commission from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays at 800-524-0795, or at

Residents and small businesses also can file a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General’s Office at 800-243-0618 or

Loading more