NORTH AURORA – The Village of North Aurora is participating with other communities, counties and the State of Illinois to conduct an initial damage assessment to determine whether federal financial assistance is available, according to a news release issued by the village.
According to the release, the village requests that North Aurora residents and businesses that experienced flooding or received damage because of rain and flooding on April 17 and 18, call Village Hall to report it.
The following information will be requested:
• Address and apartment/unit number (if applicable).
• Whether the property is a single-family, multifamily, mobile home, or business.
• Whether you own or rent the property.
• The peak depth of flooding in the basement.
• The peak depth of flooding on the first floor.
• Whether the basement is a living area (finished).
• Insurance information: Homeowners, renters, or flood.
• Whether there was any structural damage.
• The cause of the flooding (river, sump pump failure, or sewer backup).
There is no guarantee of federal financial assistance being made available, but collecting this data is the first step toward determining whether Kane County and the State of Illinois are eligible.
Call 630-897-8228, ext. 224, by 4:30 p.m. Thursday, April 25, if you had flooding and/or damage due to the storm.
The Village of North Aurora and Waste Management will hold a special garbage pick up beginning Friday, April 26, for any residential storm related debris, such as carpeting, drywall, appliances furniture. This will be done in conjunction with the normal garbage pick up and at no additional cost to residents.
Any time from now until Friday, residents may place these items between the curb and sidewalk, separated in the following manner:
• Regular household garbage —this requires garbage stickers as usual.
• Recycling—place in recycling container as normal.
• Construction/demolition debris (building materials, drywall, lumber)—place in bundles weighing less than 50 pounds, up to 4 feet in length, and up to 18 inches in diameter, or placed into 32 gallon containers weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Carpet rolls—must be no more than 4 feet in length, 18 inches in diameter, and weighing less than 50 pounds.
• Vegetative debris (tree branches, logs, plants, but not grass clippings)—must be bundled and tied with biodegradable twine or string in distinct piles that are no longer than 4 feet in length and 18 inches in diameter, weighing no more than 50 pounds.
• Large appliances (refrigerator, freezers, air conditioners, humidifiers)—Please remove refrigerator & freezer doors
• Furniture (couches, tables, mattresses, box springs, etc.)—Place these items standing up so that any water inside will drain.
It may take more than one day for Waste Management to remove all of the garbage, recycling, and storm-related debris.
Do not place any items near or on trees, poles, or other structures, as this makes removal difficult. Additionally, keep items away from fire hydrants and mailboxes.
Additional details on how to place debris and what will & will not be removed are available at www.vil.north-aurora.il.us/community/pdf/Waste_Management_collection.pdf.