SUGAR GROVE – Emergency responders, including some hazardous material handlers, were at a water treatment facility in Sugar Grove Monday morning to fix a small chlorine leak.
Deputy Chief Bill Perkins with the Sugar Grove Fire Department said a village employee smelled chlorine at a water treatment plant on Arbor Avenue and called authorities around 9 a.m. Perkins said emergency responders cleaned up a small chlorine leak at the facility and cleared the area by about 11:30 a.m.
"We were able to isolate the issue and shut off the chlorine tanks," he said. "The building was ventilated and there was no problem with nearby residents."
He said authorities did ask some of the people in the subdivision to stay inside their homes and shut doors and windows until the problem was taken care of, but no one was evacuated from the area.
Perkins said drinking water was not contaminated by the leak. Several area fire departments, including Elburn, North Aurora, Aurora, Batavia, St. Charles, Batavia, Bristol, St. Charles and Geneva, assisted with the leak.