BATAVIA – Batavia fire officials are reminding residents about the dangers of fireworks after a man was injured last weekend in a fireworks-related accident.
The Batavia Fire Department on Saturday night responded to a report of a Batavia resident who was burned after using professional-grade fireworks.
“He had nonlife-threatening injuries,” Batavia Deputy Fire Chief Randy Banker said.
Banker said fireworks not only are dangerous, but they also are illegal in Batavia. That includes sparklers, he said.
“The temperature of a sparkler can reach 2,000 degrees,” Banker said. “It is very dangerous.”
He advised residents to leave the fireworks to the professionals.
Batavia’s fireworks show will be at 9:30 p.m. on the Fourth of July and can viewed from Engstrom Park at Millview Drive and West Main Street.
There is additional space on the Batavia High School athletic fields on West Main Street.
Information is available at www.bataviafireworks.org.