ST. CHARLES – The former VFW building in downtown St. Charles is about to be no more.
The city of St. Charles, which took ownership of 119 N. Third St. on June 19, plans to demolish the former one-story home of Memorial Post No. 5036 in mid-July.
The St. Charles Government Services Committee this week unanimously recommended approval of a $74,750 contract with Elgin-based American Demolition Corp. for the demolition.
Built in 1952 and expanded in 1986, the former VFW building is 5,600 square feet and is adjacent to a parking lot with 40 spaces.
The city plans to build a public parking lot in its place to better serve the surrounding businesses. Construction is expected to begin next month and should be completed by Oct. 1.
According to the concept plan, the new parking lot will have 78 parking spots and four handicapped spots. About 6,600 square feet of green space is planned.
Together, the demolition costs and parking lot construction expenses were estimated at $200,000. The city is funding those costs and the $800,000 purchase price with money not needed for other capital projects, including Red Gate Bridge, according to the city.