Employee slightly injured in Batavia chemical flash fire

BATAVIA – An employee at Curwood/Bermis on Kirk Road in Batavia was slightly injured Monday morning after a chemical flash fire.

Batavia firefighters arrived at 11:12 a.m. to the business at 475 North Kirk Road, Batavia, and had the fire under control at 11:20 a.m. The fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damage to the building and its contents.

According to a news release from the Batavia Fire Department, an employee mixing flammable chemicals without proper grounding caused a flash fire, possibly because of a static electricity charge. The fire singed the ceiling of the flammable liquids storage room at the facility and caused a foam system to activate, flooding the room with fire suppressing foam and stopping the fire from doing any further damage, according to the release.

The employee was treated for minor singes to his forearms, according to the relase.