Partly Cloudy
81°FPartly CloudyFull Forecast
Kane County Chronicle Best of the Fox Results

No one injured in Holmstad fire

Published: Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:16 a.m. CDT

BATAVIA - No one was injured after an electrical panel caught fire Friday night at The Holmstad retirement community.

Firefighters responded at 10:51 p.m. to building C at the retirement community at 700 W. Fabyan Parkway. They had the fire under control at 11:02 p.m.

Damage to the building was estimated at $20,000. Firefighters arriving on the scene found an electrical panel on fire in the hallway on the first floor, and put out the fire with a carbon dioxide extinguisher, according to a press release from the Batavia Fire Department.

The residents from all three floors of the C building were evacuated to the B building lobby and cared for by Holmstad staff members.

The city of Batavia electric crew was able to isolate the emergency panel and generator, which removed the hazard, according to the release. The fire alarm panel was restored by fire crews and the building turned over to the Holmstad.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Kane County Chronicle.