SUGAR GROVE – Work is expected to start in the next few weeks on the installation of a traffic signal at the north entrance to Waubonsee Community College’s Sugar Grove campus, where two WCC students were killed in a 2010 car crash.
Ryan Sherrod, 18, and Brandon Utley, 19, both of North Aurora, were killed April 14, 2010, after Sherrod’s Chrysler was struck by an Allied Waste Services garbage truck on Route 47 at the north entrance.
The Illinois Department of Transportation will manage the project. Aurora-based Geneva Construction Company, the lowest of five bidders, has been awarded the contract for the $1.2 million project.
Waubonsee officials have been pushing to move the project forward.
“I can’t say when the traffic lights will be completed,” David Quillen, WCC’s executive vice president of finance and operations, said Thursday. “We are pushing to get it operational as fast as we can.”
During the work, the intersection will remain open, Quillen said. The college has received federal highway safety funds that will pay for 90 percent of the project’s cost. The remaining 10 percent is being picked up by the college.
The speed limit is 55 mph on that stretch of Route 47. In studying the intersection, IDOT found the speed was appropriate.
Since the crash, IDOT has installed intersection warning lights with flashing beacons for northbound and southbound traffic.