St. Charles adopts comprehensive plan
ST. CHARLES – The St. Charles City Council this week formally adopted a plan that will help guide the city for the next two decades.
Tuesday, aldermen adopted the 2013 Comprehensive Plan in a 6-3 vote with one abstention from 1st Ward Alderman Dan Stellato.
It was the culmination of a process that began more than two years ago and included five workshops, two visioning exercises and three open house events.
A public hearing was held last month after review from the Plan Commission and the Planning and Development Committee.
First Ward Alderman Ron Silkaitis was among those who cast a dissenting vote. He said he was comfortable with the plan except for the portion on the former St. Charles Mall property near the intersection of Route 38 and Randall Road.
That site is one of the few remaining areas in St. Charles for potential commercial development on Randall Road, he said.
“They’re going to allow residential there,” he said. “ I would really prefer to have no residential there. … It was the only sticking point, but I feel it’s an important point.”
Second Ward Alderman Art Lemke and 4th Ward Alderman Jim Martin cast the other dissenting votes, as they did during the Aug. 5 public hearing.
They, too, had concerns about the former mall site.
To review the comprehensive plan documents, click on the “Comprehensive Plan” link on the city’s website, www.stcharlesil.gov.