No charges filed yet in bomb threats

Published: Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2013 5:32 a.m. CDT • Updated: Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2013 6:52 a.m. CDT

ST. CHARLES TOWNSHIP – The investigation into last week’s bomb threats at Kane County courthouses remains active, Kane County State’s Attorney Joe McMahon said Tuesday during his monthly meeting with reporters.

Nobody has been charged, he said.

The Kane County Judicial Center in St. Charles Township, Kane County Branch Court in St. Charles and Elgin Branch Court in Elgin were evacuated Sept. 4 after two bomb threats were called in.

The buildings were reopened later that day.

If the intent behind the threats is to frustrate or inconvenience McMahon’s staff and other county employees, that doesn’t work, he said. It just pushes their work back.

The real inconvenience is to the people who come to the courthouse to resolve their case, including criminal matters and divorce decrees, McMahon said.

Some, he said, take time off work or school to do so and are forced to take a second day off.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all Kane County Chronicle instances for analytics purposes.

Jan Schlictmann at a Geneva law firm.

More videos »