Light Snow
26°FLight SnowFull Forecast

No one injured in Batavia fire

Published: Friday, Oct. 4, 2013 9:56 p.m. CST • Updated: Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013 8:44 a.m. CST

BATAVIA - No one was injured Friday afternoon in a fire that caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to a house at 931 Woodland Avenue in Batavia.

Firefighters arrived at the scene at 3:20 p.m. and found light smoke in a kitchen. They had the fire under control at 3:38 p.m.

A malfunctioning dishwasher started the fire, according to a press release from the Batavia Fire Department. No one was home at time of the incident, which was called in by a passerby who heard a smoke detector go off.

The two dogs at home at the time of the fire were removed unharmed.

Damage was estimated at $20,000 to the house and $10,000 to its contents.

Fire departments from Geneva, St. Charles, Elburn, North Aurora and Fermilab provided mutual aid.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Kane County Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all Kane County Chronicle instances for analytics purposes.

[SPONSORED] Heritage Woods of Batavia offers seniors excellent and affordable care

More videos »