BATAVIA - No one was injured Friday afternoon in a fire that caused an estimated $30,000 in damage to a house at 931 Woodland Avenue in Batavia.
Firefighters arrived at the scene at 3:20 p.m. and found light smoke in a kitchen. They had the fire under control at 3:38 p.m.
A malfunctioning dishwasher started the fire, according to a press release from the Batavia Fire Department. No one was home at time of the incident, which was called in by a passerby who heard a smoke detector go off.
The two dogs at home at the time of the fire were removed unharmed.
Damage was estimated at $20,000 to the house and $10,000 to its contents.
Fire departments from Geneva, St. Charles, Elburn, North Aurora and Fermilab provided mutual aid.