To the Editor:
We’re all getting weary of working harder and watching the top 1 percent take home the pay. Their wealth increased by 19 percent last year, while their donations to charity dramatically decreased.
Instead, the richest of the rich are contributing to shill politicians so they’ll vote against the success of our country. One of our country’s richest says that when he dies, he’ll donate almost all of his wealth to charities. He’s 83 – how about he does it now? He could sell a yacht or two and contribute the proceeds to Habitat for Humanity.
How about the Koch and Walton families pay their employees living wages and benefits? The rest of us are picking up the tab – talk about corporate welfare. What a bunch of freeloaders.
Some questions the top 1 percent may want to ask themselves:
• Why do I want America to fail?
• Is it because I’ve bet against our country and will financially profit from the failure?
• Is my greed becoming obsessive? Will I sell my soul to the devil in order to accumulate more wealth?
• Should I go live with my offshore billions now and give America a chance to prosper?
I believe in miracles. I see them every day. I’m going to envision a renewed America where we take care of each other – where the richest 400 model the golden rule and try to outdo each other in the goodwill department. At least forgoing one or two car elevators so some of our children don’t have to go to bed hungry. Until then, as patriots, let’s:
• Live the golden rule.
• Teach our children to do what’s right.
• Vote for ethical candidates.
• Care for our young, old and disadvantaged.
• Demand a living wage.
• Fight for the basic needs of our citizens, including health care.
As patriots, let’s keep fighting for what’s right!