Pure Oil building wins accolade
GENEVA – The Pure Oil building in the 500 block of West State Street in Geneva will be among nine honorees by Landmarks Illinois as part of the Richard H. Driehaus Foundation Preservation awards, Landmarks Illinois announced in a news release.
The event honors individuals, organizations and projects throughout Illinois that represent excellence in historic preservation, the release stated.
The Pure Oil building was built in 1935 as a service station. It now houses Geneva Bank & Trust, which is managed by St. Charles Bank & Trust. Original plans called for the demolition of the Pure Oil building, but the bank instead renovated that building and a neighboring structure to accent the historical nature of the structure.
The bank had a Geneva Bank & Trust sign made in the style of the Pure Oil sign.
Other winners include the Randolph Tower in Chicago, Wildey Theatre in Edwardsville, Harper Theater in Chicago, Kaskaskia-Cahokia Trail in Columbia, Livingston County Courthouse in Pontiac, Pomeroy Apartments in Chicago, a Walgreens store in Chicago and Washington Square Apartments in Moline.
The awards ceremony will be from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 26 at the InterContinental Hotel in Chicago and is open to the public. Tickets cost $50 or $40 for members. To make a reservation, call 312-922-1742.
For information, visit www.landmarks.org.