Celebration of Lights Festival set for Dec. 1 in Batavia
BATAVIA – The Batavia Park District's Celebration of Lights Festival is set for 5:30 to 7 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 1, at the Batavia Riverwalk. The event includes a community sing-a-long, tree lighting ceremony, story hour, Christmas Tree Lane and a visit with Santa.
Batavia business owner Craig Foltos will play the master of ceremonies until Santa arrives at 6 p.m. Mayor Jeff Schielke will greet Santa, and together they will light the community Christmas tree. The Christmas Tree Lane "People's Choice Award" winner will be invited to help light the ceremonial tree. After the tree lighting, Santa’s Warming House (at the Peg Bond Center) will open, and children up to age 10 who visit with Santa will receive a special gift while supplies last.
The festival is presented by the Batavia Park District in partnership with the Batavia Chamber of Commerce, Batavia MainStreet, the City of Batavia and the Batavia Police Department.
For more information, call 630-879-5235 or visit www.bataviaparks.org. Parking is available near the government center, which is at 100 N. Island Ave., Batavia.
5:30 to 6 p.m.
• Performance by the Batavia Community Band
5:30 to 7 p.m.
• Free hayrides with food or cash donation. New or gently used coats, hats and mittens are also welcome. Donations benefit the Batavia Food Pantry.
• Free roasted chestnuts
• Family photo opportunity - main stage of Peg Bond Center
• Hot dogs and hot chocolate for sale by the Batavia Teen Center
• Batavia Fire Department Bake Sale
• Community sing-a-long led by Craig Foltos, Foltos Tonsorial Parlor
• Arrival of Santa
• Welcome by Mayor Schielke
• Ceremonial tree lighting with the Christmas Tree Lane “People’s Choice” award winner
• Santa's Warming House: Visit Santa at the Peg Bond Center warming house and receive a special holiday gift (children under 10 while supplies last)
6:15 to 7 p.m.
• Story hour hosted by the Batavia Public Library takes place at the Gustafson Research Center, located in the lower level of the Batavia Depot Museum.
• Christmas Tree Lane (trees decorated by local organizations). Voting will take place on the Batavia Park District’s Facebook page for the “People’s Choice Award” winning tree. View photos of all 25 trees between Wednesday, Nov. 27 and Sunday, Dec. 1. “Like” your favorite to submit your vote! The contest ends at noon on Dec. 1. The winning business or organization will get to help light the ceremonial tree with Mayor Schielke.