Frozen sprinkler head sets off Batavia High School fire alarm

Published: Friday, Dec. 13, 2013 2:02 p.m. CDT

BATAVIA – The fire alarm at Batavia High School was activated today because of a frozen sprinkler head in an abandoned bathroom.  

Students were evacuated for approximately five minutes while the Batavia Fire Department determined the cause, according to Batavia School District officials. In an attempt to reset the fire alarm, it was tripped again, causing a second evacuation.

The students were outside for less than five minutes during the second evacuation, officials said.

After some staff members reported an odor, the fire department tested all areas and determined the air quality was safe.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all Kane County Chronicle instances for analytics purposes.

Jan Schlictmann at a Geneva law firm.

More videos »