Electrical fire damages Batavia apartment

Published: Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014 5:34 p.m. CDT • Updated: Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014 9:04 p.m. CDT

BATAVIA – No one was injured in an electrical fire Tuesday afternoon at the Lorlyn of Batavia Apartments.
Firefighters at 3:24 p.m. responded to the fire at 1005 Lorlyn Circle in Batavia, on the apartment complex’s third floor.

Damage was estimated at $600 to the apartment and $1,000 to its contents.

When firefighters arrived, the occupants had already put out the fire, which had started under a bed. There were two people in the apartment at the time.

“There was significant smoke,” Batavia Fire Chief Randy Banker said.

Banker said it appears that moisture and water caused an unused outlet to arch, catching a comforter and other material on fire. He warned residents to “always keep furniture and other items away from outlets.”

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Kane County Chronicle.