Fire causes $30,000 damage to garage, vehicle in St. Charles

Published: Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014 6:36 p.m. CDT

ST. CHARLES – An unattended open burning was blamed in a fire Tuesday afternoon that caused $30,000 damage to a garage and a vehicle at 900 Jackson Ave., St. Charles, according to a news release issued by the St. Charles Fire Department.

No injuries were reported.

According to the release, the fire department responded to a report of the garage fire at 4:07 p.m. Firefighters arrived at 4:12 p.m. and found heavy fire on the exterior of a garage that had been converted into a single-unit apartment building, according to the release.

Firefighters were able to stop the fire before it extended to the inside of the structure, the release stated, and the fire was put out in about 15 minutes. One of the two occupants of the apartment was in the building at the time of the fire, but she was able to leave without injury and call 911, the release stated.

Firefighters remained on the scene until 5:37 p.m., completing operations and conducting the investigation. The Geneva and Batavia fire departments assisted St. Charles, and the Elburn and Countryside Fire Protection District provided coverage while St. Charles units were at the fire.