By the numbers: Eating disorders
• Four out of 10 Americans either suffered or have known someone who has suffered from an eating disorder.
• The average American woman is 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighs 165 pounds. Most fashion models are thinner than 98 percent of American women.
• 35 percent of “normal dieters” progress to pathological dieting. Of those, 20 to 25 percent progress to partial or full-syndrome eating disorders.
– National Eating Disorders Association
• Twenty percent of people suffering from anorexia will prematurely die from complications related to their eating disorder, including suicide and heart problems.
–National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders