Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kcchronicle.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Want to make sure you receive the latest local news? We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly mail subscription offers

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from Kane County Chronicle, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Sign up for free email alerts. We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox.
Local

Child playing with lighter starts Batavia apartment fire

A firefighter walks away from the apartment that was damaged Saturday by a bedroom fire in the Green Meadows complex along West Wilson Street near Batavia High School.
A firefighter walks away from the apartment that was damaged Saturday by a bedroom fire in the Green Meadows complex along West Wilson Street near Batavia High School.

BATAVIA – A child playing with a lighter caused a fire at the Greeen Meadows apartment complex Saturday afternoon.

The apartment bedroom in Batavia was "almost completely burned out" when a fire began early afternoon, Batavia Fire Chief Randy Deicke said. The fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damage.

A child playing with a lighter set a bed on fire, fire officials said.

The Batavia Fire Department – along with units from Elburn, Geneva, St. Charles and North Aurora – responded to the Green Meadows apartment complex across from Batavia High School at about 1 p.m., temporarily reducing traffic on West Wilson Street to one lane.

Tony Molina, who lives in the apartment adjacent to the one affected, said his family could hear the sirens before they had a chance to call 911. His teenage daughter first noticed the fire, he said, explaining she smelled the smoke as she was getting ready for a shower.

"I'm just glad that the kids are OK," Molina said of his neighbors.

Deicke said at the scene that the fire is under investigation and noted smoke detectors were activated.

A family with children lives in the apartment, Deicke said, adding the family was home at the time it started.

Alerted by a child about smoke, a parent first tried to use a fire extinguisher but called 911 after the situation worsened, Deicke said.

The fire was contained to the bedroom, and it appeared that neighboring apartments were unharmed, Deicke said.

Nobody required medical treatment, he said.

Fire officials remained at the scene Saturday afternoon to conduct their investigation and to check for hot spots, Deicke said.

"We hate to come back," he said.

Loading more