Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kcchronicle.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Want to make sure you receive the latest local news? We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly mail subscription offers

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from Kane County Chronicle, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Sign up for free email alerts. We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox.
Local

St. Charles house fire causes $10,000 in damages

ST. CHARLES – A south-side home was damaged Monday in an attic fire, according to a St. Charles Fire Department news release.

The fire department responded at 7:19 p.m. Monday to a report of a fire at 1728 South Fourth Place. Firefighters arrived two minutes later to find fire showing from the roof of a one-story single-family home at the address, the news release said.

Fire crews extinguished the blaze about 15 minutes after they arrived. There was no one home at the time of the fire and no firefighter injuries were reports, according to the release.

"The cause of the fire is attributed to a malfunction of an attic fan," the release said.

The loss is estimated at $10,000 to the structure and the contents of the attic.  The fire was discovered by the neighbors who called 911, the release said.

Firefighters remained on the scene until 8:45 p.m. Monday completing overhaul operations and conducting the fire investigation.

The Geneva, Batavia and West Chicago fire departments assisted St. Charles with the Elburn Fire Department providing coverage, according to the release.

 

Loading more