ST. CHARLES – The St. Charles City Council on Monday did not grant any extensions on the ongoing third phase of the First Street Redevelopment project.
Aldermen at the regular council meeting did not make a motion to grant a 10th extension to developer First Street Development LLC or SMN Development LLC for their parts of the project. This means that the approvals on the developer’s preliminary plans will lapse because their ninth extension ends today.
Fourth Ward Alderman Jim Martin made a motion on an ordinance amending a purchase agreement between the city and SMN Development. That motion was denied in a 2-7 vote with only Martin and 3rd Ward Alderman Bill Turner voting in favor of the ordinance. First Ward Alderman Dan Stellato recused himself from the vote and discussion.
The developers have been given multiple extensions over the past few years and the council did not wish to continue the process.
Joe Klein of SMN Development did present a previously presented plan that involves a performance stage and kiosks for businesses. This could serve as a temporary solution for SMN’s portion of the First Street site until the market improves, Klein said.
St. Charles Mayor Ray Rogina said some aldermen had not seen the previous plan because it was presented a few years ago. Fifth Ward Alderman Maureen Lewis said Saturday was the first time she had seen the proposed temporary plan.
City Administrator Mark Koenen said the issue before was not the temporary plan but the ordinance on the purchase agreement. He recommended the plan undergo staff review.
Rogina said he and the council think that First Street still has possibilities for development.
“It’s important to note the opportunities on First Street,” he said. “Those opportunities are open to all.”