BATAVIA – The Batavia Fire Department is unable to determine the exact cause of a fire that caused an estimated $5,000 in damages to a school bus Sunday night.
“We will leave it as undetermined, but we believe something electrical was involved,” Batavia Deputy Fire Chief Randy Banker said.
Batavia firefighters were dispatched at 7:04 p.m. to First Student Bus Company, 1000 Swanson Drive, Batavia. Upon arrival, firefighters found a small school bus with the engine compartment on fire. The vehicle appeared to have been plugged into a 110-volt outlet from inside the building for purposes of charging or block heating, firefighters said.
The engine compartment and passenger compartment was about 90 percent burned out.
The damage to the bus originally was estimated at $35,000, but Banker said that was downgraded to $5,000 when new facts came to light.
“The bus was due to be replaced this year,” Banker said. “It was at the end of its life.”
Firefighters brought the fire under control at 7:15 p.m., and the last unit left the scene at 7:37 p.m.