ST. CHARLES – A house just south of downtown St. Charles was damaged Tuesday by fire that started when a tree limb fell on the home's electrical service wires, St. Charles Fire Chief Joe Schelstreet said.
"It's a beautiful home, and it was an unfortunate accident," he said. "I'm very pleased to see everything was held in check."
A tree service reportedly was cutting down a tree in the 600 block of Geneva Road near Mount St. Mary Park when a portion of the tree fell on the wires.
A tree service employee reported the fire, and firefighters arrived at about 9:49 a.m. to find a small fire on the house's exterior, Schelstreet said. He noted a man affiliated with the tree service was using a fire extinguisher on the blaze, which helped limit the damage.
"They were prepared," Schelstreet said. "The damage obviously could have been far worse if they weren't prepared."
Personnel from the city's electric department arrived within 15 minutes and cut the power, Schelstreet said. He said the fire danger was removed at that time.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire, no injuries were reported and the household's pets were found, Schelstreet said.
The loss reportedly was estimated at $5,000 to the structure and the contents. Geneva Road temporarily was closed to traffic because firefighters needed to lay a hose on the road, Schelstreet said.
Although firefighters extinguished the fire in about 15 minutes, they remained on the scene until 11:36 a.m. to assist the homeowners and to conduct the fire investigation.
The St. Charles Fire Department received assistance from the Geneva, Batavia and South Elgin fire departments. Units from Elburn provided coverage while St. Charles units were at the fire.