Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kcchronicle.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Want to make sure you receive the latest local news? We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly mail subscription offers

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from Kane County Chronicle, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Sign up for free email alerts. We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox.
Local

Firefighters called to Geneva store, but no fire found

Officials discovered burning smell was coming from chandelier

GENEVA – A light fixture in a second-hand clothing store in Geneva's downtown caused some concern Thursday afternoon when the business owner smelled something burning but saw no smoke or flames.

Geneva Fire Deputy Chief Mark Einwich said firefighters were called to Always in Style, 516 W. State St., at about 1 p.m., and just as quickly, the incident was over.

"We did not have to do any extinguishment," Einwich said. "It was a light fixture in the back of the store."

Store owner Christine Rykoskey said firefighters determined the smell was electrical and was coming from a chandelier. 

"And they were kind enough to remove it and throw it away," Rykoskey said. "The fixture and the smell are gone."

Rykoskey said ladies in the store, which features designer and higher-end second-hand women's clothing and accessories, continued shopping when the firefighters arrived.

"Then the firefighters said, 'Ladies, you have to go outside.' You know how it is if you find something pretty," Rykoskey said, laughing. "And we always have a half-price sale. We are full of goodies."

Loading more