22°FOvercastFull Forecast
Shaw Media Auctions

Why are my teeth sensitive and how can I treat it?

SPONSORED • Published: Thursday, May 29, 2014 11:15 a.m. CST • Updated: Monday, June 16, 2014 2:39 p.m. CST
Player embeded on all DC instances for analytics purposes.

Batavia Dentist Ronald Murphy advises that sensitive teeth often come from the fact that your gums have slightly receded.

Recession of the gum line allows the underlying dentin to show through, which allows water and food easier access to the sensitive nerve. To manage this, there are a number of toothpastes, gels and even some dental procedures that can be implemented.

If hot and cold food and beverages cause you pain or brushing and flossing make you wince, you may have sensitive teeth. According to the American Dental Association, possible causes of sensitive teeth include tooth decay (cavities), fractured teeth, worn fillings, gum disease, worn tooth enamel and exposed tooth root.

Sensitive teeth can be treated. The type of treatment will depend on what is causing the sensitivity.

One way to treat sensitivity is with desensitizing toothpaste. The toothpaste contains a compound that will help block transmission of sensation from the tooth surface to the nerve.

Another option is an in-office fluoride gel. Fluoride gel strengthens tooth enamel and reduces the transmission of sensations.

A crown, inlay or bonding can be used to correct a flaw or decay that is causing the sensitivity.

If sensitivity is severe and persistent and cannot be treated by other means, a root canal might be the best solution.

Remember, proper oral hygiene is key to preventing sensitive-tooth pain. Brushing and flossing on a daily basis is the best way to take care of your teeth and gums on a continual basis. Regular visits to the dentist can also help spot potential problems, before they become serious problems.

Murphy Dentistry | 1605 W. Wilson St. #114 Batavia, IL  | 630.879.7642


Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Kane County Chronicle.