BATAVIA – A fire at 200 Island Ave., at Riverain Apartments in Batavia, caused $1,500 in damage on Wednesday night, according to a news release from the Batavia Fire Department.
The release noted that firefighters were called to the scene at 6:02 p.m., during a storm and heavy rain. But the cause of the fire was listed as a halogen light in close proximity to curtains.
According to the release, a resident of the apartment suffered minor burns as a result of attempting to extinguish the fire and was taken to Delnor Hospital. A maintenance worker was on the scene and assisted the resident to the lobby area, the release stated.
The release stated that firefighters arrived at 6:05 p.m. to find light smoke in the hallway and an open door to the unit. Firefighters found curtains, carpeting and contents burning, and then fires were put out with a pump can. The release stated that the fire was under control by 6:12 p.m., and the last unit was cleared by 6:33 p.m.