1. Blues on the Fox festival WHEN: Gates open at 6 p.m., with Joe Louis Walker kicking things off at 7 p.m. Friday, June 27; and Saturday, June 28, gates open at 2 p.m., with Samantha Fish kicking things off at 3 p.m. WHERE: RiverEdge Park, 360 N. Broadway St., Aurora COST/INFO: The 18th annual Blues on the Fox festival will feature blues musicians Joe Louis Walker and Jimmie Vaughan on Friday; and Samantha Fish, Tab Benoit, Taj Mahal and Los Lonely Boys on Saturday. Tickets cost $20 a day for general admission and children ages 12 and younger will be admitted for free as long as they are accompanied by an adult 18 or older. For tickets or more information, visit riveredgeaurora.com.
2. Sink or Swim Cardboard Boat Race WHEN: 11 a.m. Saturday, June 28, and and at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 12 WHERE: The June 28 event will take place at Swanson Pool, 8 North Ave., St. Charles; and the July event will take place at Otter Cove Aquatic Park, 3615 Campton Hills Road, St. Charles. COST/INFO: The Sink or Swim Cardboard Boat Race event will feature designed boats made of corrugated cardboard and duct tape that will attempt to make it across a swimming pool. A boat can hold no more than four people, and all participants must wear a life jacket provided by the St. Charles Park District. Awards will be given. Advanced registration is required for the free program. For more information, visit www.st-charlesparks.org or www.ottercove.org, or call 630-513-6200 or 630-513-4377.
3. Homemade toiletries demonstration WHEN: 1 p.m. Saturday, June 28 WHERE: Batavia Public Library, 10 S. Batavia Ave., Batavia COST/INFO: Librarian Lee Blakley demonstrates how to make natural, high-quality, shelf-stable soap, shampoo, deodorant and moisturizer at a fraction of the cost of similar products sold in stores. Registration is required. Register online at www.BataviaPublicLibrary.org or call the library reference desk at 630-879-1393, Ext. 200.
4. Heritage Celebration Pig Roast and Silent Auction WHEN: 5 to 9 p.m. Saturday, June 28 WHERE: The St. Charles Heritage Center, 215 E. Main St., St. Charles COST/INFO: The St. Charles Heritage Center's fourth annual Heritage Celebration Pig Roast and Silent Auction will feature live music by the Good Ole Boys Band, a pig roast by Dave’s Slow Food and a silent auction that will feature more than 30 gift baskets with items donated from local shops and restaurants. The pig roast is a 21-and-over event, as there will be alcohol served. Tickets to the event cost $45, a portion of which is tax deductible, and can be purchased at the St. Charles History Museum. Also available for purchase are tax-deductible raffle tickets at $10 each for a chance to win one of three $1,000 cash prizes. The drawing will take place the night of the celebration. Winners need not be present to win. For information, call the Heritage Center at 630-584-6967 or visit www.stcmuseum.org.
5. LaVita Cigars 'Torch It Up' WHEN: 6 to 10 p.m. Friday, June 27 WHERE: LaVita Cigars, 2015 Dean St., St. Charles COST/INFO: LaVita Cigars will host a Camacho "Torch It Up" event, which will feature a barbecue and competitions, including arm wrestling. There will be tastings and contests. For information, call 630-513-7799 or visit www.lavitacigars.com.