Mostly Cloudy
71°FMostly CloudyFull Forecast

Chicken coop catches fire in St. Charles

Published: Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014 10:14 p.m. CDT

ST. CHARLES – A house on the city’s southwest side sustained damage Wednesday when a backyard chicken coop caught fire, St. Charles Fire Chief Joe Schelstreet said.

Firefighters were called to the home in the 900 block of South Seventh Street at 12:08 p.m., he said. He noted a neighbor called it in, as the residents were not home.

The cause of the fire was related to a fan that was installed in the chicken coop to assist with air movement, Schelstreet said, according to a news release issued by the fire department. Damage is estimated at $10,000, according to the release.

Schelstreet said the fire, which did extend to the house, was extinguished in about 15 minutes.

The chickens did not survive, he said.

Damage to the house was limited to the exterior, he said.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Kane County Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all Kane County Chronicle instances for analytics purposes.

Kane County Coroner Rob Russell talks about his job.

More videos »