The building at 113 S. Third St. in Geneva is now home to the Geneva History Museum. It received bronze plaque recognition in 2017, based on the date of construction being more than 100 years old and its historical significance.
The original portion of the building housed one of the longest continually operated businesses in Geneva. From 1907 until 1996, the building housed abstract companies.
One of the biggest and finest building projects in Geneva since World War II – an addition to the building – was designed by the Frazier and Raftery architectural firm in 1948. August Wilson and Son were the contractors for the one-story addition north of the original building. It was a modern brick building with a stone and glass brick front. It was completely air-conditioned and had artificial lighting. Except for the three glass brick windows in the front, there were no additional windows in the new addition.
Learn more about this and four other significant buildings in Geneva, as well as the people who designed, constructed and lived in them, while visiting the Geneva History Museum’s feature exhibition, “Inside & Out: Geneva’s Faces, Places & Spaces.” The exhibition is open through Nov. 4.
Pictured: 113 S. Third St., circa 1960.