[Sandy Bressner - email@example.com]
[Ada Scalise cuts yellow peppers for a shrimp fajita dish during a nutrition class specializing in 30-minute meals in the new community kitchen at Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital in Geneva on July 12.]
Peggi Semmens, community health coordinator for the hospital, said they have offered 10 classes a month for the public as interest in healthy eating and cooking is growing.
The cooking classes are free. To register for sessions, call 630-933-4234. TTY for the hearing impaired 639-933-4833.
Thirty-Minute Meals recipes
Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
1 1/2 pounds of shrimp peeled and deveined
1 yellow bell pepper sliced thin
1 red bell pepper sliced thin
1 orange bell pepper sliced thin
1 small red onion sliced thin
1 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
several turns of freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
fresh cilantro for garnish
plain Greek Yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine onion, bell pepper, shrimp, olive oil, salt and pepper and spices.
3. Toss to combine.
4. Spray baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
5. Spread shrimp, bell peppers and onions on baking sheet.
6. Cook at 450 degrees for about 8 minutes.Then turn oven to broil and cook for additional 2 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through.
7. Squeeze juice from fresh lime over fajita mixture and top with fresh cilantro.
8. Serve in warm tortillas.
30 Minute Skinny Alfredo Ziti with Broccoli by
Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
12 oz whole wheat ziti or other pasta
3-4 cups broccoli florets
1 tablespoon butter
4 garlic minced cloves
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons white whole flour
1/2 cup vegetarian broth
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
To garnish: extra parmesan, chopped parsley, red pepper flakes, if desired
Optional: add one to two chicken breasts
1. Cook the pasta and broccoli in a large pot of salted water, according to directions on the package until al dente or just slightly undercooked. Drain pasta and broccoli and set aside for a few minutes to make the sauce.
2. In the same pot, add onion to sauté 3 minutes, add butter and melt it over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add garlic and flour and stir until flour has browned, about one more minutes. Whisk in broth and almond milk until smooth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 6-8 minutes until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Once mixture thickens, reduce heat to low and whisk in parmesan cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Gently stir in the pasta and broccoli.
4. Serve immediately. Garnish with extra parmesan and parsley.
5. If you're not vegetarian, add in one or two cups of cubed or shredded cooked chicken breast.
Cauliflower Chicken Fried Rice
Prep: 5 minutess
Cook: 15 minutes
Serves: 5 to 7
1 head of cauliflower, blended in a food processor till it looks like rice.
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut in 1/2-inch dice
3 carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves
1 cup frozen sweet peas
1/3 cup low sodium soy or tamari sauce
2-3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
1/4 cup sliced green onions as garnish
sesame seeds as garnish
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
1. Add cauliflower florets to a food processor or blender. Blend until cauliflower resembles small grains of rice. Set aside.
2. Heat a wok or large skillet to medium high heat.
3. Add in 1 tablespoon of sesame oil to pan. Next add diced chicken.
4. Saute chicken for 4-5 minutes, tossing throughout.
5. Push chicken over to one side of the pan, add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil on the other side along with carrots, onion, garlic, and sweet peas.
6. Sauté the vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Next add in the cauliflower rice, along with the ginger, tamari or soy sauce and sriracha sauce.
8. Toss everything together and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
Source: Recipes provided by Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital Community Kitchen