Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kcchronicle.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Want to make sure you receive the latest local news? We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly mail subscription offers

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from Kane County Chronicle, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Sign up for free email alerts. We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox.
Local Government

No injuries resulting from Elburn home blaze

Wind and high heat fuel ‘visual fire’ that began in trash can

ELBURN - A fire that started in the trash receptacle outside an Elburn home Thursday afternoon resulted in a blaze that encompassed the home’s garage, carport, breezeway, boat and two vehicles.
 
No injuries were reported in the fire, which occurred at approximately 2:50 pm August 9 on the 200 block of Rowe Road, in the Winden Oaks neighborhood.
 
Elburn Fire Chief Joe Cluchey said when his team arrived, just minutes after the initial call was received, heavy fire was coming from the garage, where both the structure and the vehicle inside were burning. Additionally, fire had spread through a breezeway connecting the garage to the home, and to the adjacent structure and enclosed fiberglass boat, as well as a vehicle in the driveway.
 
He said that the cause of the fire appeared accidental. A hot object had been placed on top of a plastic trash can adjacent to the house, which melted through the lid and fell inside the can, igniting the contents.
 
Fire companies from Elburn, Sugar Grove, Geneva, Batavia, St. Charles, West Chicago Fox River and Fermilab responded to the blaze, fueled by wind and high heat from the garage.  Such heavy response was received due to the combination of conditions and the location of the fire in rural Elburn, where no hydrants are available.
 
“It was a very visual fire,” Cluchey said. “Smoke was reported being seen east of Randall Road and as far as County Line Road in Maple Park.” He added that residents of the area reported hearing what sounded like explosions,  but that it likely was the flammable contents of the garage popping as they caught fire. “There was no actual explosion,” he said.
 
“It looked a lot worse than it was,” Cluchey added. “The homeowner got out uninjured. There were no injuries to personnel and the home is salvageable.”
 

Loading more