Salad dressings are important for topping off salads, and they also serve as a great marinade. If you’re looking for something you can make from scratch for your family to enjoy, try the following ideas for homemade salad dressing.
1. A simple, basic vinaigrette dressing is super easy to put together. Start with 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, 2 tsp dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in 1/3 up to 1/2 cup olive oil until you reach your desired consistency.
2. For a creamy Italian dressing, combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 3 tbsp red wine vinegar, 2 tbsp sour cream, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1 garlic clove, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a blender. Transfer to a bowl, then stir in 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley.
3. Blue Cheese dressing is very popular on wedge salads with chopped tomatoes and crumbled bacon. It’s also great with buffalo wings and as a vegetable dip. To make your own, whisk together 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 cup crumbled blue cheese, the juice of one lemon, and salt to taste. Refrigerate for at least an hour so flavors can combine. Add hot sauce to taste, if desired.
4. For a lighter flavor, try an Orange Walnut dressing. Whisk together 2 tbsp orange juice, 1 tbsp sherry vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Whisk in 3 tbsp walnut oil and 3 tbsp olive oil.
5. Another light and sweet option is Red Raspberry dressing. Combine 2 tbsp raspberry vinegar, 1 chopped shallot, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp dijon mustard, and 1/2 tsp salt in a blender. Slowly add in 1/3 cup olive oil and 1/2-3/4 cup fresh raspberries, and pulse to your desired consistency.
300 S. 2nd Street, St. Charles, IL