Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kcchronicle.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Want to make sure you receive the latest local news? We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly mail subscription offers

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from Kane County Chronicle, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Sign up for free email alerts. We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox.
Local

Clothes dryer to blame for mobile home fire in Batavia

Emergency officials were at the scene of a fire Thursday at the Oak Terrace mobile home community in Batavia.
Emergency officials were at the scene of a fire Thursday at the Oak Terrace mobile home community in Batavia.

BATAVIA – A dryer fire destroyed a mobile home Thursday at Oak Terrace Mobile Home Park in Batavia, fire officials said.

A 48-year-old man in the 0-100 block of Oak Terrace Court was treated on scene for smoke inhalation and a minor burn to his hand, according to a news release from Battalion Chief Shawn Stephens.

A firefighter suffered a minor facial injury from falling debris but was checked at the scene and did not seek further medical attention, according to the news release.

"The fire started in the dryer, and the resident tried to remove the clothing that was burning to the outside," Stephens said. "He was not able to get it all. With heavy smoke conditions, he could not go back in."

Stephens said the mobile home had two bedrooms and one person at home when it started just before noon. Firefighters extinguished the blaze shortly after 2 p.m., he said.

The mobile home is uninhabitable and will be considered a total loss, but Stephens said he could not provide an estimate of damage. The home was boarded up for safety, according to the news release.

Stephens said could not say whether the dryer fire started because of lint or some other electrical problem.

According to the National Fire Protection Association website, www.nfpa.org, clothes dryers accounted for 92 percent of 16,800 home structure fires in 2010.

A leading cause of clothes dryer fires was failure to clean the lint screen after each load and failure to clean exhaust vents once a year, according to the U.S. Fire Administration website, www.usfa.fema.gov.

Loading more