Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kcchronicle.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Want to make sure you receive the latest local news? We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly mail subscription offers

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from Kane County Chronicle, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Sign up for free email alerts. We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox.
Breaking News

Smoke inside building causes evacuation at Holy Cross in Batavia

Batavia Fire Department: No injuries, students and staff commended for 'orderly evacuation'

BATAVIA – An overheated motor on an HVAC system Monday caused an evacuation of Holy Cross church and school in Batavia, according to a news release issued by the Batavia Fire Department.

In the release, Battalion Chief Ed Jancauskas noted that there were no injuries. He commended the staff and students at the school "for the orderly evacuation."

According to the release, firefighters arrived at 9:58 a.m. at 2300 Main St., Batavia. The release indicated that firefighters were responding to a report of visible smoke inside the building, called in by employees in the lower level. Officials "reported smoke in the lower level, getting heavier," the release stated, adding that the source was not immediately located.

"The school students were evacuated, and the alarm was upgraded to a general response," the release stated. "Upon further investigation, fire crews found an overheated motor on a large HVAC system causing the source of the smoke."

The release stated that the unit was isolated, the lower level was ventilated, maintenance was called for repairs "and the school was turned back over to the church and school staff."

"A public address [announcement] was made to the teachers, helpers and children, explaining the cause of the problem and commending them on the accountability and orderly evacuation of the building," the release stated.

The last unit was cleared at 10:46 a.m.

Loading more