ST. CHARLES – A grease fire at Eden on the River, 1 Illinois St., St. Charles Friday afternoon caused $1,000 damage to the contents of the restaurant, officials stated in a news release.
St. Charles firefighters responded to an activated fire alarm at 3:19 p.m. and found that a sprinkler head had activated and ultimately extinguished the fire but, smoke had spread through both floors of the structure, the release stated.
The alarm was upgraded upon arrival and the structure was checked for fire extension.
The offices and other units were occupied at the time of the alarm and the employees and patrons were evacuated without incident. There were no injuries to the occupants or to firefighters, the release stated.
The Illinois Street Bridge was closed for approximately 45 minutes while firefighters operated at the scene.
The cause of the fire is listed as accidental due to cooking.
St. Charles was assisted by Geneva, Batavia, West Chicago and South Elgin Fire Departments.