CAMPTON HILLS – The village has issued a reminder about the rules regarding the burning of landscape waste.
The open burning of brush shall occur only on the property upon which the brush was generated subject to the following restrictions:
• Burning is permitted only on sunny days between 9:00 a.m. and 3 p.m.
• Burning is not permitted when the wind is in excess of 10 miles per hour.
• Burning is not permitted within 20 feet of any building, structure, property line, or combustible material.
• Burning is not permitted when it is determined and announced by the county health department that inversion conditions or an ozone alert exist.
• Brush shall be dry when burned.
• Burning is not permitted on public or private roads, alleys, sidewalks or easements.
• All open burning must be supervised until the fire is extinguished.
• A fire extinguisher or garden hose or water source shall be available at the burning site.
• It is the responsibility of the individual conducting the burning and the owner of the property to satisfactorily determine that there is compliance with all burning conditions.
• The terms and provisions of this chapter shall not apply to any burning of prairie plants for purposes of habitat reclamation; provided, that those performing controlled prairie burning must receive the proper permits from their fire protection district, if applicable, and notify the village police department.
• The terms and provisions of this chapter shall not apply to the burning of brush for purposes of domestic fireplaces or cooking or external fireplaces, or to self-contained outdoor wood-burning devices or fireplaces.
• The terms and provisions of this chapter shall not apply to the open burning of brush for purposes of ceremonial fires; provided, that notice of any ceremonial fire has been given to the fire protection district, if applicable, serving the area where the fire is to take place as well as notification to the village police department. Failure to notify the applicable fire protection district and police department and obtain permission prior to conducting a ceremonial fire utilizing brush shall be deemed a violation of this chapter.
• The open burning of landscape waste and/or other materials, with the exception of brush, is prohibited in the village except for those living within the 60119 U.S. postal service zip code. If the state of Illinois expands its vehicle emission testing program to include the 60119 zip code, this prohibition shall automatically apply to the area included in the vehicle emission testing program.