ST. CHARLES – The St. Charles Police Department is reminding football fans and partygoers that the department will be out in force on Super Bowl Sunday to keep impaired drivers off the roads.
Extra officers will be working Sunday specifically looking for impaired drivers.
“The Super Bowl is a great time to get together with friends and family and watch the game; however, people need to be responsible," St. Charles Police Commander Rich Clark said in a news release from the St. Charles Police Department. "Plan ahead with a designated driver or have a ride share option available. Even one drink or hit can impair judgment. You should never put yourself or others at risk because you made the choice to drive impaired.”
The police department offers these tips:
• Designate a sober driver or plan to use public transportation or a ride service to get home safely.
• If you see an impaired driver on the road, contact law enforcement.
• Have a friend who is about to drive impaired? Take the keys away and arrange to get your friend home safely.
• Hosting a party? Serve plenty of food and non-alcoholic beverages, and make sure all your guests have a sober ride home.
• Always buckle up. It’s your best defense in case of a crash.
The Illinois “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” and “Click It or Ticket” programs are administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation with federal highway safety funds managed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.