MAPLE PARK – Samantha Aversa was formally introduced as the new principal for John Stewart Elementary School at the Kaneland District 302 Board of Education meeting May 11.
Aversa, previously the assistant principal at John Stewart and Kaneland Blackberry Creek Elementary schools, was approved at the April 27 meeting.
Also at the May 11 meeting, Vida Martin was introduced as the assistant director at the Fox Valley Career Center.
The board unanimously approved 15 items in its consent agenda, including resignations, terminations and new hires for staff in the district; approval of administration contracts and salary increases; and district health insurance renewal.
Twenty-one individuals, including Aversa and Kaneland High School Athletic Director David Rohlman, had their contracts and salaries approved.
The board also approved a special education workload program, which highlighted the differences between workload and caseloads. As noted in the memo, caseloads are the reference to the number of students with individual education plans for whom the special education educators are responsible. Workload refers to all the responsibilities the special education educator has, which was highlighted in a list of at least 11 examples. The plan also detailed district guidelines for special education classrooms depending on a variety of factors, including class size, number of educators needed for a classroom, and what students need based on what percentage of special education services is used.
Kaneland Superintendent Dr. Todd Leden said in his report that the last day of school for the district is May 20.
Leden discussed school supply pickup plans and said further details on dates and social distancing guidelines are expected to be communicated to parents in the coming week.
Looking ahead to the next school year in the fall, Leden said, “We have a series of options we’re looking at and working on.”
Leden said the district will have summer school learning available online starting next month.
Information was expected to be sent to parents May 12.
“We are trying to balance the governor’s stay-at-home order with the [Illinois State Board of Education], along with the Illinois Department of Public Health. ... Just know that we are working on those,” Leden said. “And as soon as we start finalizing that, we will get that information out.”