Digital Access

Digital Access
Access and all Shaw Local content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Want to make sure you receive the latest local news? We’ve got you covered! Get the best in local news, sports, community events, with focus on what’s coming up for the weekend. Weekly mail subscription offers

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports, weather, and more. Text alerts are a free service from Kane County Chronicle, but text rates may apply.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Sign up for free email alerts. We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox.
Crime & Courts

Update: Bond set at $100K for DeKalb Man charged in St. Albans manhunt in Sycamore, Hampshire armed robbery; 2nd man still at large

Suspected armed robbers barricade themselves in St. Albans for hours, 1 arrest made

SYCAMORE – One of the men thought to have barricaded himself in St. Albans Green apartments for nearly 18 hours this weekend was arrested by Sycamore police Sunday in connection to an armed robbery in Hampshire, although the second person remains at large, Sycamore Police Chief Jim Winters said.

Avery Jones, 21, of DeKalb, is charged with criminal damage to property and residential burglary, both local charges. Jones is also facing armed robbery charges our of Hampshire, said DeKalb County Circuit Court Judge Phillip Montgomery during Jones' bond hearing Monday, at which time his bond was set at $100,000. Jones could need to post $10,000 to get out of jail.

At the time of his arrest, Jones was on bond for a home invasion, court records show.

If convicted of the most serious crime out of DeKalb County--residential burglary--Jones could face up to 30 years in jail on an extended term. If convicted of armed robbery, a class X felony out of Kane County, Jones could face up to 60 years in jail on an extended term, and fines up to $25,000.

Jones is scheduled to appear for an additional bond hearing Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. in front of Montgomery, at which time the judge will rule on the DeKalb County State's Attorney's motion to increase his bail. The state on Monday asked that Jones bond be set at $200,000.

As of Monday morning, Winters said the second man is not yet found. The search for him has been ongoing since Saturday at 6 p.m.

Winters said Jones was arrested about noon Sunday after jumping from the second-floor balcony of St. Albans Building B, where Winters said police believe he may have been hiding inside the walls after a thorough hours-long search was unsuccessful.

It's unclear whether the second man still at large is armed, Winters said, since the gun police believe was used in the armed robbery Saturday was found by Sycamore officers during the arrest Sunday.

"We believe he was hiding somewhere in the building, possibly in the infrastructure of the buildings," Winters said. When asked whether he meant the walls of the apartment complex, Winters said, "Possibly. He was not in plain view."

About 6 p.m. Saturday, Sycamore police were notified by Hampshire police that two men wanted in connection to an armed robbery of a Super 8 Motel in Hampshire were headed their way in a red car.

"We ended up finding the suspect vehicle on the east side of town," Sycamore Police Deputy Chief Steve Cook said. The vehicle was found at the Sycamore Parkway Restaurant, 605 E. State St.

The two men, who matched the description of those wanted in connection to the armed robbery, were then seen entering St. Albans Green apartment complex, 711 S. Main St., about 6 p.m. Saturday and were not seen coming back out.

Sycamore police remained on the scene at St. Albans to protect residents. Winters said the countywide special operations team – which includes police from Sycamore, DeKalb, the DeKalb County Sheriff's Office and Northern Illinois University – continued searching until about 5 a.m., after police cleared the initial perimeter Sunday around 12:40 a.m.

Winters said police even searched the attic of St. Albans Green Building B with a drone and did not find anyone hiding.

"After not locating either person that was wanted in this Hampshire case, we did leave officers on scene," Winters said. "We did another search, searched the second floor again. And about noon today, one of the suspects [Jones] was seen fleeing that residence. He had jumped off a balcony and then fled, got into a car which was stopped on Somonauk Street."

Two others in the car – a woman and a person under 18 – were also arrested, and Winters said a gun was found in the car.

"The gun that was recovered we believe was the same gun in the Hampshire armed robbery yesterday sometime in the afternoon," he said.

Winters said Jones did not report any injuries after jumping from the second floor, and while any armed robbery charges will be released by Hampshire police, it's likely he'll face additional charges of residential burglary and criminal trespass to a residence from Sycamore.

As far as the second man wanted in connection to the Hampshire armed robbery, Winters said police continued searching St. Albans Sunday, and they'll keep officers on the scene in case he's found.

"We're keeping officers there just as a precaution," Winters said. "But as always, if someone saw something that was out of place or something suspicious, we encourage them to call us."

The Sycamore Police Department can be reached at 815-895-2123, although 911 should be called in the event of an emergency.

Manhunt continues for second suspect

The two men were the center of an hours-long, multi-department manhunt Saturday night that continued into the early morning hours Sunday, Sycamore police officials said.

Crews from the Sycamore and DeKalb fire departments also assisted, Sycamore police chief Winters said, especially as night fell and extra lights were needed to search the entire building.

As part of the hours-long investigation, police escorted residents out of the building, and nearly seven hours later, about 12:40 a.m., Cook said the streets had reopened and residents were allowed back inside because the search at that time was unsuccessful.

Loading more