If you're in the market for new carpeting for your home, you'll also need to pay attention to the cushion to be installed underneath it. Proper carpet cushion can absorb the wear and tear on a carpet, helping it last longer and stay comfortable under your feet for years to come. Here are 5 things to know about carpet cushion:
1. Bonded foam carpet cushion, made from recycled foam, is the most popular cushion type. It comes in various thicknesses and densities, which may affect your decision. Most cushions come in 3 lb. to 10 lb. densities, with a 5 lb. cushion being the minimum weight recommended for a residential setting. For better durability and comfort, an 8 lb. cushion is ideal.
2. Other available cushion types may also have their place on your floor. Solid rubber, as well as synthetic felt, cushions are nice if you want a little less “bounce”, and little more stability, such as in a situation where someone uses a walker or wheelchair. Also, frothed foam carpet padding, including the newer generation of memory foam, has become very popular for their overall even ad pleasant feel underfoot. It is made by injecting gas into liquid foam. Frothed foam is dense and durable, but can be a little more expensive.
3. New technology has brought new options in cushion. Now you can find dust barriers, water repellant barriers, anti-microbials, and hypo-allergenic features.
4. Carpet padding can be a sound-reducing underlayment product, helping to improve a home’s acoustics. It also can provides some thermal insulation. However, these attributes should not normally be the driving factors in your cushion decision, unless acoustics and temperature are specific challenges you have.
5. The most important part of the cushion selection process should be your personal preferences. Whether you like a flatter, stiffer cushion, or a very bouncy cushion, the key is to make sure you communicate that to whoever you are purchasing from. A trained salesperson will go over your options and explain the different attributes available.
For more information about carpet padding, please contact:
Family Flooring America
2015 Dean Street,
Saint Charles, IL 60174